Pho and Bun, West End

A bao bun, or yum bun, was something I easily would have scanned past on a menu without giving a single thought to ordering, now it's something I look for when I'm headed to an Asian restaurant and will order without a doubt. Hence, my trip to Pho & Bun. After seeing it on Instagram I had to go. 


Located about 3/4 of the way down Shaftesbury Avenue, you could easily miss it. A tiny little restaurant with loads of tables crammed in and a really busy feel, Pho & Bun fits perfectly with the hustle and bustle of the West End. They have a seating area downstairs so don't let that put you off visiting. If you book in advance and check Bookatable, you may even find a set deal that's perfect for first time visitors. 




We opted for some crispy spring rolls, salt and pepper squid and some BBQ spare ribs for starters. This may be a little wimpish but I cannot deal with tentacles (it's a massive problem for someone who loves squid so much) so I was immediately a little freaked out. The spring rolls were nice but a little greasy, as was the squid. Both had a lot of flavour but were parhaps a little on the 'crispy' side. The ribs were delicious, the meat fell off the bone and the BBQ flavour came pouring out with each bite. 


For main it had to be the buns. I went for the belly pork with soy, cucumber and chili mayo while my boyfriend went for the beef with cheese, pickle and mayo. To share, we ordered some sweet potato fries. The buns were delicious, up there with the best I've had. The pork was perfectly cooked with a crispy edge, the soy was sticky and the ratio of bun to filling was spot on. I had a bite of the beef, obviously, and it was really good. It was basically a cheese burger in a steamed bun, which was a little odd but a great combo, although I'm not sure this would be my first choice - it doesn't scream Asian-inspiration. 


We ordered from a set menu so the dessert choice wasn't too varied. We ordered a creme caramel and some matcha ice-cream, although neither were very nice. When it comes to dessert, I'm all about a big slice of cake or something covered in chocolate sauce so this just wasn't to my taste. 

If you're craving a bao bun or have never tried one and are tempted, you have to give them a try. I'll certainly be heading back. Pho & Bun, it's a thumbs-up from me. 

Comments

Popular Posts